Thursday, April 9, 2009


Now for a little background on how we got to where we are now...
Crystal and I have been married for 4 years now. In the beginning we were not actively trying to get pregnant, but we were not doing anything to stop it. After a few years of nothing happening, we decided to actually TRY and have children. With no success after about a year, we started seeing Dr. Thorneycroft at Springhill Hospital in Mobile. In the beginning Doc determined that this might be a little difficult. It seems as though Crystals parts did not want to work properly. For some odd reason, she would not ovulate. After a lot of tests and MANY ultrasounds, he found polyps on her uterus and had to perform a D&C (her second in 2 years).

After the D&C, Doc started us on Clomid for a few months. That didn't work! Still no ovulation. Then he tried Femara. And another strike out!!! Then Menopur... nothing; then Repronex... nothing, except an allergic reaction. Finally we started follistim ($$$$$$$). We did that stuff for a full month straight ($$$$$$). After 31 days, we were able to take the trigger shot, with 6 follicles viable!

We knew there was a chance that two of them taking but had no idea what was to come. I had to go out of town to Texas for a week when she was supposed to take a pregnancy test. She took one the day I was supposed to leave, which was 4 days early and there was a FAINT line. We got a little excited but tried not to get our hopes up. Her boss INSISTED that she go to the doctor for a blood test. Crystal went to the doctor that afternoon and had the test. I did not find out that it was for sure until I got off a plane in Dallas. I started to cry on the runway when I turned my phone back on and saw the "WE'RE PREGNANT" message.

The next week, Crystal went for another blood test and Doc told her that based on her numbers, it looks like there may be twins in there. We freaked out a little, but somewhere in the back of our minds, we were expecting twins. He mom and dad are both fraternal twins, so it runs in the family. When we finally went for our first ultrasound at 4 weeks, we were fully prepared to see twins. When the ultrasound tech, who we have become very close to, started scanning, it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. She started counting.... "Here is A, and here is B, and then oh wait, here is C!!!" That's about the time that I started freaking out!!! Then it all hit me at once. We are having TRIPLETS!! I sat down fast! :)

When we left, we called all the family and let them know. They were all freaked out as well! I went back to work and my boss's reaction was classic: "What are you doing back here, I would have gone straight to the bar!!" The rest of the day, I was sort of in shock.

At week 8, we had a pretty big scare. One of the side effects of the fertility drugs is over stimulation of the ovaries. Crystals ovary swelled up to almost 14 cm, about 10 cm too big. When she woke up on the Sunday morning of week 8 she could hardly sit up. She was in sooooo much pain we had to take her to the emergency room. Luckily my mom was here to help and stayed with us. Crystal was admitted into the hospital for two days for observation and Doc told us that it would not get any better until week 12. While in the hospital, we were able to get our first look at A, B, & C. That was the COOLEST thing I have EVER seen in my life. There they were, three little babies inside Crystal!!! I was amazed!!!

This week we had our 12 week check up. The babies look sooooo different. We can actually make out little faces, arms and legs. It is sooo neat. I can say, the reality of the situation is starting to set in now. I am trying to to TOTALLY freak out, but it is hard to do. As someone I love and respect says, everything will work out, it always does! I am just trying to enjoy the ride right now.

Thanks for reading the background. I promise the rest won't be this long winded!!

No comments:

Post a Comment