Tuesday, May 3, 2011

04/30/2011

SLEEP STUDY

I know this is a break from the normal 365 pictures of the Trioux, but I really wanted to share this one.

For as long as I can remember, I have never felt like I have gotten a full nights sleep. It did not matter if I got 2 hours of sleep or 12 hours of sleep. I always felt the same, exhausted. As the trioux are getting older and sleeping better and better, I really felt like I needed to do something about my sleeping habits. After consulting my ENT, we said it was a pretty safe bet that I had sleep apnea. We set up a sleep study and I had my appointment Friday night.

It was actually very easy and the staff really knows how to make you feel at ease comfortable, to a certain extent. I got there about 8:00 PM Friday night and was able to watch TV while they hooked me up and made me look like a science fair project! After hooking me up to all these wires and electrodes they let me go to sleep and watched me all night. To make a long story short, they monitor EVERYTHING associated with your sleep. They split the night up and at 2:00 AM evaluate your pattern and determine weather you need a CPAP or not. Well, lets just say it didn't take long for me. They made the decision at 11:45 PM to hook me up to one!!! That was the best 6 hours of sleep i have EVER had!!! They said my sleep apnea was about as bad as it could be.


They fixed me up with a full mask, may switch later to the smaller nasal mask, but at least this one ensures that i get it even if I breath thru my mouth. The last few nights have been a little strange trying to get used to it. I have been waking up about every two hours adjusting it and moving it a little. Even with waking up that much, I feel better than I ever have in my life! I actually feel rested and can make it thru the whole day without feeling like I could fall asleep at ANY time! It is amazing. If you even think you might have it, go get tested!!!

All wired up!


I now look like Darth Vader when I sleep!

2 comments:

  1. just curious...what causes sleep apnea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the best way to explain it. Just go here and it will explain it all.

    http://sleepalabama.com/page17/page24/page24.html

    ReplyDelete